Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Dragon's Maze spoilers day 3



Another day, another set of spoilers... Jason here to sift through them for you!
Hit the jump to read on...

With 3 guild leaders spoiled today, and a new translation, there is definitely a lot to discuss, so without further delaying this article, I may as well get started.
Our translation for the day is Armed // Dangerous.  Since it is a translation, and was not posted on the mothership today, here is the card...
Armed 1R
Target creature gets +1/+1 and double strike until end of turn.
Dangerous 3G
All creatures able to block target creature do so this turn.
(Uncommon)
I think that this a good limited card, and I would love to have it in a Gruul stompy deck.  Think about Arming(?) a an Ember Beast or a Zhur-Taa Swine, the possibilities with this card are endless.  I don't think that this will see any standard play though.
Lavinia of the Tenth
This seems pretty bad even in limited, as the ability to make opponents creatures not able to block that turn doesn't really help Azorius (I notice it doesn't let them attack either), it would help Rakdos better.  Now splashing this is Boros may be worth it, and I am exited to see.
Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
This card seems like a solid Rakdos creature, costs accurate, and I am first picking her (I think wouldn't it say warlock if it was male?) every time.
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
I was really, really hoping for Teysa to be good, unfortunately she is only good in EDH.  A 7-drop does not matter in most limited formats, even though it is unblockable.  I think it will see some play in standard, although I would rather land an Obzedat, Ghost Council every time.
Gatekeeper cycle (I am going to refer to them by color not name)
2/4's for four are ok in an aggressive format if you are the control deck, but they need an ability tacked on to be playable.  Red gatekeeper's ability to Act of Treason seems very good, but you do not want to be playing such a low power creature and gates in an aggressive deck, so I will rule him out.  As much as I love vigilance, I think that the white gatekeeper is barley playable, because you do not want to be running non aggressive creatures in a white deck, as the best white guilds are aggressive.  Black gatekeeper seems very good, as the black guilds are controlling (except Rakdos), and would love the ability to kill a creature.  The blue gatekeepers ability to draw a card seems worthwhile, as the blue guilds are fairly controlling to.  The green based guilds are also aggressive, so I see no need for life gain in green.
Renounce the Guilds
After reading The Secretist, I really like the flavor of this card.  This card seems bad in limited, as you really cannot not play multi-colored cards, but I see some post-Theros application in standard.
very
Thank you as always for reading, and sorry about the delay today.  It was for some unforeseen unavoidable circumstances

No comments:

Post a Comment